“Worcester Sharks Weekly”…Sharks keep Calder Cup Playoff hopes alive


Photo courtesy of http://www.sharksahl.com

Despite losing two-of-three games at the DCU Center this weekend, the Worcester Sharks kept their Calder Cup Playoff hopes alive by winning two of their four games for the week and capped off the weekend with a 3-1 victory over the Adirondack Phantoms.  With the win, the Sharks improved to 34-28-4-8 with 80 points and remain four points behind the Connecticut Whale for the third and final guaranteed playoff spot in the Atlantic Division of the AHL Eastern Conference with only six games {three home, three away} remaining in the 80-game AHL season.

The Sharks began the week bright and early Tuesday morning as the team traveled to Portland to play the Portland Pirates at the Cumberland County Civic Center, where the Sharks rallied back from a 3-0 deficit to shock the Pirates 5-4 in overtime.  After falling behind 3-0 in the first period, a wild line brawl broke out at 16:24 of the period after Sharks forward Jamie McGinn ran over Pirates defenseman Tim Conboy behind the Pirates net.  Every player on the ice squared off during the brawl, which resulted in 76 penalty minutes and four ejections, including Sharks defenseman Sean Sullivan and Sharks forward Tommy Wingels.  After the brawl, the Sharks were able to seize momentum as forward Patrick Davis scored his fifth goal of the season on a short-handed breakaway to get the Sharks on the board heading into the first intermission.

Just three minutes into the second period, Dan DaSilva scored his 16th goal of the season with the Sharks on the Power Play to cut the deficit to 3-2.  After a Pirates goal increased the deficit to 4-2 nearly two minutes later, Sharks defenseman Nick Schaus scored his fourth goal of the season at 12:29 of the period to cut the deficit to 4-3.  In the third period, Sharks defenseman Joe Loprieno tied the game at 4-4 at 16:37 with a one-time bomb from the blue-line that forced overtime and just 16 seconds into the extra frame, Sharks forward John McCarthy scored the game winning goal with a quick rush up the left side and a seeing eye shot over the shoulder of Pirates goalie David Leggio.  Sharks goalie Carter Hutton made 24 saves in net and Wingels saw his six game point streak come to an end.

On Friday night, the Sharks began a five game home-stand at the DCU Center as they hosted the Providence Bruins and in front of a sellout crowd, the Sharks were defeated 4-2.  Despite out shooting the Bruins 34-24 for the game, the Sharks had a hard time getting the puck passed Bruins goalie Anton Khudobin, who made 32 saves in net for the Bruins.  Sharks forwards Davis and Benn Ferriero scored their sixth and 16th goals of the season respectively and goalie Harri Sateri made 20 saves in net for the Sharks in the loss.

On Saturday night, the Sharks hosted the Springfield Falcons and were embarrassingly defeated 7-2 as Falcons rookie goalie Paul Dainton made 39 saves in net for his first professional win, which was also the Falcons first win in 13 games and their first win in the month of March.  Hutton was pulled after allowing four goals on 11 shots and was replaced by Sateri, who made 17 saves on 20 shots.  Sharks forwards T.J. Trevelyan and Wingels scored their 15th and 17th goals of the season respectively, both of which came on the Power Play late in third period to cut the deficit to 6-2.  The Sharks also set a franchise record with their 80th fighting major penalty this season after Sharks forward Frazer McLaren and defenseman Nick Petrecki dropped the gloves in their respective fights during the game.

After the Falcons game, DaSilva {@wsharksdasilva} tweeted the following…Embarrassing loss tonight, running out of time for a playoff spot, we better have a better effort tomorrow.  Need the 2 pts.  Have a good night.  The Sharks got the message loud and clear as on Sunday afternoon, the Sharks hosted the Adirondack Phantoms and skated away with a 3-1 victory in a must win game.  Sharks forward Kevin Henderson scored his eighth goal of the season to give the Sharks a fast 1-0 lead at 1:21 of the first period.  After the Phantoms tied the game in second period, Trevelyan scored his 16th goal of the season at 11:46 of the third period to give the Sharks a 2-1 lead and Davis added an empty net goal for his seventh goal of the season.  After being chased out of net the previous night, Hutton had a strong bounce back game, making 35 saves in net for the Sharks.

*Photo and information was used from www.sharksahl.com for this post entry*


About Jon Allred

Life long San Jose and Worcester Sharks fan that bleeds teal and black.

Posted on March 27, 2011, in Sports and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: